Each year at the beginning of May our Fredericton campus opens its doors to guests from around the world. This year our summer hotel officially opened on May 4, 2018, launching what is expected to be one of our busiest hotel seasons to date. Some highlights from the season so far include:
- We were proud to be able to help our community by opening early to provide food and lodging to Fredericton-area residents displaced by flooding
- During the second week of our hotel season, we welcomed over 1200 guests to campus
- Welcomed 630 people to campus for Girl Guides All SySTEMS Go weekend camp
- We successfully accommodated delegates from five consecutive conferences in the span of three weeks
With so many people staying with us on campus this summer and visiting Fredericton (sometimes for the first time), we asked our student staff to share some of their favourite hotspots and activities around the city. Check out what they had to say for some local insight when planning your next trip to #FreddyBeach.
What is your favourite restaurant around town?
Connor – Caribbean Flavas. The food is fantastic and the owners/staff are really friendly and always remember you.
Corinne – 540 Kitchen and Bar. The food is unique and so delicious and the restaurant has a very cool atmosphere.
Alex – Snooty Fox. Great food, drinks and staff. The atmosphere is excellent both inside the restaurant and on the patio, it’s a great spot to grab a bite and a beer with friends or co-workers.
What does an ideal summer day look like for you in Fredericton?
Mallory – Definitely going to the Fredericton Boyce Farmers Market on a Saturday morning to try new food and explore the unique vendors.
Corinne – I love going for a walk in Odell Park. It’s big enough that there are always new things to see and explore.
Laurel – The summer festivals and live shows in Officer’s Square.
What are the top 3 Fredericton activities you would recommend our guests check out this summer?
- Rent a kayak, canoe or stand up paddle board for the day from Second Nature Outdoors
- Patio-hopping downtown for great food and drinks
- Check out the sunset from the old train bridge overlooking the Saint John River
- Fredericton walking trails
- Explore the local coffee shops, stores and restaurants downtown
- Try out the No Escape escape rooms downtown
- Rent a canoe from Second Nature Outdoors
- Hit Graystone Brewing and the Monks and Jonesie Gastro Food Truck
- Check out the new Garrison Night Market on Thursdays
What is the most underrated activity or hotspot that people should check out while visiting?
Olivia – The Mactaquac Dam at sunset.
Alex – The Dip Pool Bar & Grill. Grab a bite to eat and cool off in their outdoor pool after lunch.
Mallory – Kingswood Resort. The resort has its own golf course and is home to Atlantic Canada’s largest entertainment centre.
What do you love most about living in Fredericton?
Brandon – The change of scenery from my hometown. The city is not too big, but there are lots of things to do.
Connor – The people and the UNB campus during the summer.
Corinne – It’s a city with a small town vibe. Fredericton is a beautiful place with tons of history, friendly people and unique business start-ups.
What has been your favourite part so far about working at Conference Services this summer?
Alex – I love knowing that the revenue we generate goes back into funding support services for students here at UNB (Fredericton).
Olivia – My coworkers and the team environment. It’s a supportive and happy place to work.
Mallory – I have two!
- Getting to work with a phenomenal team every day
- Being able to welcome people from around the world to Fredericton and to our campus
Are you a local? Share your favourite spots to play tourist with us in the comments below.
Planning a trip out east? Consider staying with us on campus. Learn more about our rates and accommodations.